Saturday, May 12, 2012

"A Small, Good Thing" - Raymond Carver

I enjoyed reading Raymond Carver's "A Small, Good Thing" because of many the many small, good things he builds up the story with. The way Carver writes seems to add a great importance to each storyline and sequence in the story. One detail I noticed is that each entailed plot seemed to set up the next and the next after that, a very good way of suspense and hook. Carver also emphasized a lot of repetition of certain lines and scenery evoke a deeper importance. Moreover, one of the literary devices I came across Carver's writing was more of senses and imagery. I could picture Ann, Howard, the patients, and the doctors very well to fine detail. Carver also presented some similes, one particular that I remember was Ann's aptitude compared with the men. Overall, I enjoyed the stories plot, although tragic, the ending speaks the truth about going on with life, even if it's in small, good fractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment